It’s Harvest Monday, hosted by Daphne at Daphne’s Dandelions where every Monday you get to brag on you blog ‘bout the beautiful bounty you’ve been bagging from your back yard. Leave a link at Daphne’s and then bounce by and see what others have bagged.
~ ~ ~
Not a whole lot to show off this week. Plus I got a little lazy about documenting the harvests, so a few things got harvested but not weighed. So far this year my 2010 Harvest Tally as of 8-8-10 is 1990.65 ounces which converts to 124.4 lbs. so far in less than 175 square feet.
If I had planned better I know I could have done better. I should have mowed down the strawberries right after they finished (found this out last night), then I could have interplanted them with something. I should have planted pickling cucumbers so they could climb on the fence. I should have started fall season crops so they’d be ready to transplant now. Oh, well. There’s always next year.
A Brussels sprout. Not the nice compact head you’ll see in the grocery store. This came from one of the two plants grown from seed that are left. The others slowly died and were removed.
…has only marble sized sprouts and is much taller than the other one. I’ve read that the sprouts that mature in hot weather form loose heads. Sprouts that mature in cool weather form tighter heads and the taste is improved. They can even go through a frost, which will also improve their flavor. I’m going to be patient.
I tried some of the leaves (you cook them like collards), and they weren’t terrible. They’d blend right into a pot of mixed greens.
Speaking of collards, I’m down to two, maybe three collard plants. They just kept croaking on me during the summer, so I pulled the others up. The leaves are nice and big, though. Four leaves made enough for a dinner side dish and a portion to be frozen for later.
Here’s something funny. You know how trees planted near a fence will grow into the fence and it’s impossible to remove it? Well, I have a honeydew melon that had the same bright idea.
I remember having to fight to get this same melon out of the hole in the fence so that I could put it in the sling. This is what I found yesterday. That baby is in that hole, and I can’t get it out. What’s worse is that is the only honeydew that has set and started growing.
Don’tcha love my sling? I didn’t have any extra pantyhose laying around and I had the time to sling the melons, so I used what I had…old mix-matched socks that have been taking up space forever. I cut a hole in the area that would be near the front ankle and extended it to make a slit, stuck the melon in the slit and tied it to the fence. The melon has twisted counter-clockwise where the knot that was on the top is now on the left and the part that cradles the melon is on the right. I don’t have to worry about this one falling off, though. I’ll have to cut it off when/if it matures.
Only two harvest pics for this week. We have collards in the background, (clockwise), Russian kale, Early Girl tomato, cherry tomatoes, okra, a few bush beans, Armenian cucumber, squash, my first watermelon, and stevia leaves.
Brandywine tomatoes (the largest was 14.3 oz), one Big Bertha and two California Wonder peppers, a couple okra pods, a couple squash and lots of cherry tomatoes.
I pulled out one of the squash plants to gain a little planting real estate. I’ll throw some lettuce seeds down there, or peas. Haven’t decided. I’m thinking that once the watermelons ripen I will take down the other two squash plants, level the dirt and try to grow cool season greens under plastic. Once it gets cold enough, I’ll just cut the tomatoes down to soil level. That’s the rough plan anyway.