It’s been a busy couple of days. Yesterday morning, I finally got the strawberries in the planter…made with my own two little hands.
My phone doesn’t take the greatest of pictures, but that’s what I’m working with today.
We were due for some rain, and I wanted to get them in the ground while I had the time. The strawberry plants have been wrapped in paper towels and stuck in a container on the porch under the bench since I got them weeks ago. I’m hoping they’ll be okay. It’s hard to see in this picture, but a lot of the plants had started growing new little white roots waiting on me to plant them.
While I was planting the strawberries, I saw the landscaper who did the landscaping for the apartment building across the street from me…the one who gave me a bunch of pots. I had promised him a bulb from my elephant ear plant, and I got to honor that promise. I kept the biggest and I gave him the next three. For a minute I was considering growing vegetables in that spot, but when I looked at the picture of the elephant ears from last year I know I want to grow it again this year.
I dragged him over to show him the yard. It’s kind of flattering when a landscaper tells you he likes something you’re doing in your yard. The bleeding hearts and tulips are in bloom in the perennials bed and the colors compliment each other. I wish I could say I planned it, but it was just a lucky coincidence.
You can’t really tell from these pictures (again, my phone doesn’t take good pictures), but it really does look nice. Everything is balanced and symmetrical, which I did plan. In the summer when everything fills out, you can’t even see the ground. Next year, I probably should thin some of the plants. We’ll see.
After that we went to the Green and Growing Fair at the Garfield Park Conservatory. I had been looking forward to going, but…let’s just say that dealing with an older relative with issues can dampen a person’s mood. By the time I got there I was in such a bad mood that not even looking at the georgous plants made me feel better. Enough said on that.
Later Saturday I transplanted some of the pickling cucumbers into the area near the steps that I recently reworked. They’re still teeny-weeny, but they’ll grow. If not, I’ve still got all of the lemon cucumbers that are still in egg shell pots.
Here’s a before:
And an after:
Please excuse the clutter. I’ve got to put the extra bricks away and I did a little dividing today and sat the divisions there temporarily.
What else did I do today? My neighbor to the east had her yard sprayed yesterday (chemicals, bad). My neighbor to the west has a field of violet and dandelion blooms (au natural, good…that is until the dendelions go to seed and float all over the neighborhood). I took the middle road. I hand pulled each and every dandelion I saw, then I pulled any other weed I saw except the clover. Don’t know a chemical free way to deal with that, but when you cut the grass, you don’t really see it.
Then I got the rake and the hoe scraper thingy and cleaned out the perennial bed. I hadn’t touched it this year. The stalks and seed heads from the sedum were still there, so were the stalks from the hosta and the peonies. I got all the leaf debris from on top of the iris rhizomes. I read the sun has to kiss the rhizome (giving it extra heat) in order to have good blooms. I removed a sedum that I’ve been meaning to for the last two summers because it’s in a shady spot and grows too lanky. And while I was at it, I divided one of the hostas that was too crowded last year.
Then while I was messing with the sedum, I remembered I want to try growing okra along the side of the house and that I want to remove the sedum that’s along the side of the house. When I planted it I thought hosta interspersed with sedum would look cute. It doesn’t. The hosta shades out the sedum and it grows too tall and lanky. It just looks messy.
Before I started digging out the sedum, I figured it’s a good time to get rid of the stalks from last year’s blooms. That was a process. Next I dug out the sedums between the hosta, checked the front and found a few dandelions that I pulled.
All the seedlings got a little sunshine today. Oh, yeah. I made a greenhouse of sorts with my windows (alley find). All I did was used eye bolts in the inside corners that are held together with nuts and screws, made a square out of it and topped it with one of the storm windows (Free Cycle find).
And lastly, a little update on the “hoophouse” plants.
I’m planning on taking the cover off in about a week because I really need to trellis the peas. The stick in the middle is where I usually hang the thermometer, but the greenhouse will need to borrow it for a few days.
I am genuinely tired now.
The old gray mare, she ain’t what she used to be
My get up and go don’ got up and went
I’m too pooped to pop
I’m running on empty
Happy Gardening Restful Slumber After A Hard Day’s Work!!!!